Tomorrow I leave for Italy, to study circus for two years. Before I leave I wanted to write this piece, which isn't about the destination but the journey.
This year has been a climax of the past six years at school, with me hating it. I struggled for those six years but this year it just reached another level. Luckily for me I have a very supportive family and have been smart enough to surround myself with the right kind of people. There are many people to thank but first I want to describe the journey, in an overall sense.
In writing this, I remember one of Coach Christopher Sommer's pieces of writing "The Heart of a Champion". Contrary to what happens in movies and shows with someone walking into an interview with nothing but the fact they are a quick learner and getting the job, Coach Sommer talks about Olympic athlete Jonathan Horton referring to himself as a 'slow learner'. This is exactly how I would describe myself too. I, as far I remember, have never been particularly quick at picking things up (often times, I listen to messages left on my voicemail several times when trying to remember/write down the number someone left). My bosses would be more than willing to testify to that. Everything I am at this point I have had to work hard at, time and time again. After attending Coach Sommer's seminar here in Australia a few months ago, I told him of my acceptance into circus school. After he congratulated me, I told him about how it had only been possible because of all those minutes I'd spent pressed up against the wall in a handstand (and I still struggle with wall handstands).
Gymnastics, acrobatics, handbalancing, floreio are all things I have not only come to love practicing but come to turn to during hard times. Some times at the expense of turning to my friends and family for help. None the less, there have been so many people who have helped me so much. First and foremost my family who have been there day and night, who have always trusted me, encouraged me and most importantly allowed me to be my own person. Then to Christopher Sommer, who throughout the years has shared his knowledge with me and countless others with nothing but enthusiasm. Ido Portal who opened up a whole new world of movement to me. To my friends whom upon telling them of my move to Italy out of the blue were nothing but supportive and excited for me.
To all of you, I find it hard to say.....
But, thank you for everything.
And a special mention to Daniel Carison for the music and to Tom Beattie for filming.
No comments:
Post a Comment